Originating in Tarragona, this flavoursome Catalan sauce was first created by the local fisherman to go with their daily catch, but nowadays is also enjoyed with both meat and roasted vegetables, as well as being delicious served cold as a dip, a fantastic alternative to houmous! Typically Spanish in its flavours, Romesco sauce is also incredibly healthy, offering vitamins and minerals from not only the peppers and tomatoes but also the almonds and immune boosting garlic!
Ingredientes (Serves 4-6)
- 2 halved and deseeded red peppers
- 4 halved ripe tomatoes
- 1 garlic bulb, cut across in half
- 30g white bread
- 40g blanched almonds
- ½ teaspoon smoked hot paprika or 2 dried and then soaked Nora chillies
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Preparación (Step by step photo above to help!)
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Lay the peppers, tomatoes and garlic in a tray and drizzle with oil, roast for 20 minutes
- In a separate tray tear the bread into chunks and again drizzle with oil, roast for 10 minutes, and for the last 5 minutes throw in the almonds (watch they don’t over brown as they can become bitter)
- Remove both from the oven, leave to cool and then remove the skin from the peppers and tomatoes (Tip: Put the still warm peppers into a plastic food bag for five minutes, the steam will help to lift the skin)
- Blitz the almonds and bread in a food processor until fine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, squeezing the roasted garlic cloves out of the skin, and blitz again until a smooth paste (you may wish to add a splash of water to loosen slightly if it is too thick).